Is your car prepared for the unexpected?
Car Crash Car Hit Tree Car Hit House Car Hit By Comet
Get a Quote!

Do I need insurance if I don’t use my car?

The answer is YES. Any vehicle parked on public roads needs insurance, and the reason is quite simple: a car doesn't need to be driven to cause damages to a third party.

If your vehicle is not kept or used on public roads, then you can declare "SORN" to the DVLA, which stands for "Statutory Off Road Notification". This means for example that you won't need to pay tax on your car and you won't need insurance. But remember, if your car has been sold, permanently exported or scrapped, you should not declare SORN. And if you decide to use the vehicle again, don't forget to relicense it, and make sure you have the right insurance cover for it.